Alpha Gal and the Lone Star Tick
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: Our immune response against a foreign molecule present in animal products may play a role in some allergic, autoimmune, and inflammatory disorders. This reaction is thought to underlie tick bite triggered meat allergies.
Here are links to some of the videos I mentioned:
• Higher Quality May Mean Higher Risk (http:/nutritionfacts.org/video/higher-quality-may-mean-higher-risk)
• Eating Outside Our Kingdom (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-outside-our-kingdom/)
Here’s some videos unearthing the IGF-1 story:
• IGF-1 As a One Stop Cancer Shop (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/igf-1-as-one-stop-cancer-shop/)
• Cancer-Proofing Mutation (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cancer-proofing-mutation/)
• The Answer to the Pritkin Puzzle (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-answer-to-the-pritikin-puzzle/)
NeuGc is what opened up this whole can of worms:
• Cancer as an Autoimmune Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cancer-as-an-autoimmune-disease/)
• Clonal Selection Theory of Immunity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/clonal-selection-theory-of-immunity/)
• Clonal Deletion Theory of immunity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/clonal-deletion-theory-of-immunity/)
• The Inflammatory Meat Molecule Neu5Gc (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-inflammatory-meat-molecule-neu5gc/)
• How Tumors Use Meat to Grow: Xeno-Autoantibodies (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-tumors-use-meat-to-grow-xeno-autoantibodies/)
• Nonhuman Molecules Lining Our Arteries (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nonhuman-molecules-lining-our-arteries/)
• Meat May Exceed Daily Allowance of Irony (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-may-exceed-daily-allowance-of-irony/)
I wonder if alpha gal is playing a role in the improvements in arthritis and Crohn’s on plant-based diets: Dietary Treatment of Crohn’s Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/achieving-remission-of-crohns-disease/) and Diet & Rheumatoid Arthritis (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/diet-rheumatoid-arthritis/).
In my next video, Tick Bites, Meat Allergies, and Chronic Urticaria, I explore the role these tick-bite induced allergies may play in the development of chronic hives and other allergic skin reactions in children.
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/alpha-gal-and-the-lone-star-tick/ and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate