Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: The unnaturally large, rapid, and sustained calcium levels in the blood caused by calcium supplements may explain why calcium from supplements, but not from food, appears to increase the risk of heart attacks.
We actually evolved getting lots of calcium (eating lots of green leafy weeds), but not in the form of Tums. See Paleolithic Lessons (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/paleolithic-lessons/).
I’ve touched on calcium and bone health before:
• Calcium Absorption: Soy Milk Versus Cow Milk (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/calcium-absorption-soy-milk-versus-cow-milk/)
• Alkaline Diets, Animal Protein, & Calcium Loss (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/alkaline-diets-animal-protein-and-calcium-loss/)
• Phytates for the Prevention of Osteoporosis (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/phytates-for-the-prevention-of-osteoporosis/)
• Is Milk Good for Our Bones? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-milk-good-for-our-bones/)
This is a story consistent with disappointments surrounding many other supplements:
• Dietary Supplement Snake Oil (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dietary-supplement-snake-oil/)
• Some Dietary Supplements May Be More Than a Waste of Money (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/some-dietary-supplements-may-be-more-than-a-waste-of-money/)
• Risk Associated With Iron Supplements (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/risk-associated-with-iron-supplements/)
• Diet Pills Do Fat a Lot of Good (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/diet-pills-do-a-fat-lot-of-good/)
• Infant Seizures Linked to Mother’s Spirulina Use (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/infant-seizures-linked-to-mothers-spirulina-use/)
• Should We Take a Multivitamin? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/should-we-take-a-multivitamin/)
• Treating Asthma With Plants vs. Supplements? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-asthma-with-plants-vs-supplements/)
• Broccoli: Sprouts vs. Supplements (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/broccoli-sprouts-vs-supplements/)
If you’re waiting on the edge of your seat for the next video (Are Calcium Supplements Effective? http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-calcium-supplements-effective), maybe you shouldn’t be sitting so much! :)—see Standing Up for Your Health (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/standing-up-for-your-health/) 🙂
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-calcium-supplements-safe and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate