How May Plants Protect Against Diabetes?
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: Protective properties of whole plant foods against diabetes include antioxidants, lipotropes, fiber, and the ability to suppress the estrogen-producing bacteria in our gut.
Plant foods may also protect against diabetes by replacing animal foods. See my last video: Why is Meat a Risk Factor for Diabetes? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/why-is-meat-a-risk-factor-for-diabetes)
So what if your entire diet was filled with plants? See Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Plant-Based-Diets-and-Diabetes). Some plants may be particularly protective:
• Amla versus Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/amla-versus-diabetes/)
• Flaxseed vs. Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/flaxseed-vs-diabetes/)
• Diabetics Should Take Their Pulses (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetics-should-take-their-pulses/)
Unfortunately, cinnamon has fallen out of favor (Update on Cinnamon for Blood Sugar Control http://nutritionfacts.org/video/update-on-cinnamon-for-blood-sugar-control/).
Here’s my ever-growing series on science behind type 2 diabetes:
• What Causes Insulin Resistance? (http://nutritionfacts.org/what-causes-insulin-resistance)
• The Spillover Effect Links Obesity to Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-spillover-effect-links-obesity-to-diabetes)
• Lipotoxicity: How Saturated Fat Raises Blood Sugar (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lipotoxicity-how-saturated-fat-raises-blood-sugar)
• Diabetes as a Disease of Fat Toxicity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Diabetes-as-a-Disease-of-Fat-Toxicity)
• What Causes Diabetes? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-diabetes)
• Can Diabetic Retinopathy Be Reversed? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-diabetic-retinopathy-be-reversed)
For more on the estrogen connection, see Relieving Yourself of Excess Estrogen (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/relieving-yourself-of-excess-estrogen/) and Breast Cancer and Constipation (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast-cancer-and-constipation).
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-may-plants-protect-against-diabetes and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate