How to Prevent High Blood Pressure with Diet
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: High blood pressure, the #1 killer risk factor in the world, may be eliminated with a healthy enough diet.
This is a video that’s long overdue. The downside of me just covering whatever pops up in the literature is that some really fundamental topics may not get immediate coverage.
Having a “normal” blood pressure may set one up for dying from “normal” causes such as heart attacks and strokes. For more on this concept, see When Low Risk Means High Risk (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/when-low-risk-means-high-risk/). It’s like having a normal cholesterol level. See Optimal Cholesterol Level (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/optimal-cholesterol-level/).
So it seems high blood pressure is a choice. Like cavities, or heart disease: Cavities and Coronaries: Our Choice (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cavities-and-coronaries-our-choice/).
Even end-stage malignant hypertension can be reversed with diet (thereby showing it was the diet and not other lifestyle factors that protected traditional plant-based populations). See Kempner Rice Diet: Whipping Us Into Shape (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Kempner-Rice-Diet-Whipping-Us-Into-Shape).
Flax seeds, hibiscus tea, whole grains, and nitrate rich vegetables may offer additional protection:
• Flax Seeds for Hypertension (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/flax-seeds-for-hypertension/)
• Hibiscus Tea vs. Plant-Based Diets for Hypertension (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/hibiscus-tea-vs-plant-based-diets-for-hypertension/)
• Whole Grains May Work As Well As Drugs (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/whole-grains-may-work-as-well-as-drugs/)
• Hearts Shouldn’t Skip a Beet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/hearts-shouldnt-skip-a-beet/)
Why not just take the drugs? See The Actual Benefit of Diet vs. Drugs (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/The-Actual-Benefit-of-Diet-vs-Drugs) and Why Prevention is Worth a Ton of Cure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Why-Prevention-is-Worth-a-Ton-of-Cure).
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-high-blood-pressure-with-diet and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate