If White Rice is Linked to Diabetes, What About China?
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: Protein consumption can exacerbate the insulin spike from high glycemic foods.
This one is a little twisty and might require a second watch or two. Instead of breaking this into multiple videos I tried to pack it all into one. Basically, the question is if the modern diabetes epidemic in China and Japan has been linked to white rice consumption, but how can we reconcile that with low diabetes rates just a few decades ago when they ate even more rice?
The protein exacerbation of the effect of refined carbs could help explain the remarkable results achieved by Dr. Kempner with a don’t-try-this-at-home diet composed of mostly white rice and sugar. See Kempner Rice Diet: Whipping Us Into Shape (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/kempner-rice-diet-whipping-us-into-shape/).
Refined grains may also not be good for our blood pressure (Whole Grains May Work As Well As Drugs http://nutritionfacts.org/video/whole-grains-may-work-as-well-as-drugs/).
What should we be eating to best decrease our risk of diabetes? See:
• Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Plant-Based-Diets-and-Diabetes)
• Lifestyle Medicine Is the Standard of Care for Prediabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lifestyle-medicine-is-the-standard-of-care-for-prediabetes/)
• Diabetics Should Take Their Pulses (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetics-should-take-their-pulses/)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes from Turning into Diabetes (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-from-turning-into-diabetes)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes in Children (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-in-children)
• What Causes Insulin Resistance? (http://nutritionfacts.org/what-causes-insulin-resistance)
• The Spillover Effect Links Obesity to Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-spillover-effect-links-obesity-to-diabetes)
• Lipotoxicity: How Saturated Fat Raises Blood Sugar (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lipotoxicity-how-saturated-fat-raises-blood-sugar)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-white-rice-is-linked-to-diabetes-what-about-china and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate