Mediterranean Diet and Atherosclerosis
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: What happens inside the arteries going to the hearts and brains of those who add nuts or extra virgin olive oil to their diet?
I bring up the Ornish back-and-forth in my latest annual live review Food as Medicine: Preventing and Treating our Most Dreaded Diseases with Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/food-as-medicine), but then directly address the accusation that plant-based diets are marked by poor compliance for disease prevention and reversal.
For more on the famous PREDIMED trial and the body of evidence surrounding Mediterranean diets, I’ve got a bunch of good videos for you:
• Why Was Heart Disease Rare in the Mediterranean? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Why-Was-Heart-Disease-Rare-in-the-Mediterranean)
• The Mediterranean Diet or a Whole Food Plant-Based Diet? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/The-Mediterranean-Diet-or-a-Whole-Food-Plant-Based-Diet)
• PREDIMED: Does Eating Nuts Prevent Strokes? (http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/predimed-does-eating-nuts-prevent-strokes)
• Which Parts of the Mediterranean Diet Extended Life? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-parts-of-the-mediterranean-diet-extended-life)
• Do Flexitarians Live Longer? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-flexitarians-live-longer)
• Improving on the Mediterranean Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/improving-on-the-mediterranean-diet)
What might happen to the arteries of someone who goes on a low carb diet. You don’t want to know… but if you do, here you go: Low Carb Diets and Coronary Blood Flow (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/low-carb-diets-and-coronary-blood-flow/).
What we eat doesn’t just have an impact on the structure of our arteries over the long-term (the thickening and narrowing described in the video), but the function of arteries within hours of consumption. To see what your breakfast may have done to your arteries check out:
• Eggs and Arterial Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-arterial-function/)
• Walnuts and Artery Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/walnuts-and-artery-function/)
• Dark Chocolate and Artery Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dark-chocolate-and-artery-function/)
• Coffee and Artery Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/coffee-and-artery-function/)
• Fatty Meals May Impair Artery Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fatty-meals-may-impair-artery-function)
• Olive Oil and Artery Function (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/olive-oil-and-artery-function)
Note, though, the benefits of plant-based nutrition can be undermined by vitamin B12 deficiency if you don’t include a regular reliable source in your diet. See Vitamin B12 Necessary for Arterial Health (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-b12-necessary-for-arterial-health/).
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/mediterranean-diet-and-atherosclerosis and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate