PREDIMED: Does Eating Nuts Prevent Strokes?
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: A randomized controlled trial found that a Mediterranean-type diet can dramatically lower the risk of subsequent heart attacks. How does it compare with plant-based diet data?
This is the second of a 6-part video series on the Mediterranean diet. For some historical backdrop, check out out the first one at Why Was Heart Disease Rare in the Mediterranean? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Why-Was-Heart-Disease-Rare-in-the-Mediterranean) Here’s the next four to come:
3. PREDIMED: Does Eating Nuts Prevent Strokes?
4. Which Parts of the Mediterranean Diet Extended Life? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-parts-of-the-mediterranean-diet-extended-life)
5. Do Flexitarians Live Longer? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-flexitarians-live-longer)
6. Improving on the Mediterranean Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/improving-on-the-mediterranean-diet)
For more on Dr. Esselstyn’s amazing work:
• Heart Disease Starts in Childhood (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-starts-in-childhood/)
• Fully Consensual Heart Disease Treatment (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fully-consensual-heart-disease-treatment/)
• Evidence-Based Medicine or Evidence-Biased? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/evidence-based-medicine-or-evidence-biased/)
• Kempner Rice Diet: Whipping Us Into Shape (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/kempner-rice-diet-whipping-us-into-shape/)
If the short-chain plant-based omega-3s in flax seeds and walnuts appear so beneficial, what about the long-chain omega-3’s found in fish and fish oil? There are pros and cons. See, for example, Mercury vs. Omega-3s for Brain Development (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/mercury-vs-omega-3s-for-brain-development/) and Is Fish Oil Just Snake Oil? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fish-oil-just-snake-oil/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/predimed-does-eating-nuts-prevent-strokes and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate