Statin Cholesterol Drugs and Invasive Breast Cancer
Subscribe for free to Dr. Greger’s videos at:
DESCRIPTION: Reducing cholesterol levels may inhibit breast cancer development, but the long-term use of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs is associated with more than double the risk of both types of breast cancer: invasive ductal carcinoma and invasive lobular carcinoma.
If you missed the “prequel” video you might be confused about the role cholesterol plays in breast cancer risk. Watch Cholesterol Feeds Breast Cancer Cells (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cholesterol-feeds-breast-cancer-cells).
Though as drugs go, statins are remarkably safe, they can present rare but serious side effects in both men and women: Statin Muscle Toxicity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/statin-muscle-toxicity/).
How can we lower cholesterol without drugs? It’s Purely a Question of Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-attacks-and-cholesterol-purely-a-question-of-diet/). We can lower our cholesterol by lowering our intake of three things: Trans Fat, Saturated Fat, and Cholesterol: Tolerable Upper Intake of Zero (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/trans-fat-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-tolerable-upper-intake-of-zero/). Where are trans fats found? Trans Fat In Meat And Dairy (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/trans-fat-in-meat-and-dairy/). Where is cholesterol found? Predominantly eggs: Eggs and Cholesterol: Patently False and Misleading Claims (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-cholesterol-patently-false-and-misleading-claims/).
There are also some foods adept at lowering cholesterol levels:
• Nuts and Bolts of Cholesterol Lowering (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-and-bolts-of-cholesterol-lowering/)
• How Fiber Lowers Cholesterol (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-fiber-lowers-cholesterol/)
• How Phytosterols Lower Cholesterol (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-phytosterols-lower-cholesterol/)
• Dried Apples, Dates, Figs, or Prunes for Cholesterol? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dried-apples-dates-figs-or-prunes-for-cholesterol/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/statin-cholesterol-drugs-and-invasive-breast-cancer/ and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://www.bit.ly/NFpodcast
• Subscribe: http://www.bit.ly/nutritionupdates
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate